Saturday, July 5, 2008

Emo Coaster

Today is Monday. Yesterday was Sunday.
On Sunday we went to Alianza Church as usual, and then went out for lunch. We had decided upon a restraunt in the plaza that sold adobo and cuy, traditional dishes. We ordered and then Stephen told us the news. He´d told us about the accident the day before. Claudia, Lydia, and Greg were on a bus, when it ran into the side of the mountain. Claudia and Lydia are shaken up, but Greg had serious head trauma. He is now with the Lord. He passed away quickly after the accodident; there was nothing that could be done. Please pray for Greg´s family and friends, and his reasearch team members Lydia, Kristen and Claudia, and for all of us in Peru. There was an article written about Greg at this website, http://ibsa.org/

That was Sunday.
On Saturday morning, Melissa, Jessica, and I went out to the poverty pueblo part of town and played with the children. We brought bubbles and played soccer. At 4 o´clock we had our VBS at Alianza church. We taught our three children colors, and sang Jesus Loves Me. Our purpose is to teach the children english, this song in english, and a bible verse in english (Psalm 84:12). After VBS, we were hungry, but Melissa wanted to quickly call Mike and talk to him about her going home. She was going to leave with Jessica on July 22nd, but after she talked to Mike, he´d suggested that she leave immediately to get her health figured out. For the past week her hands have been numb. We sent Melissa off to Lima last night. We´re hoping the problem is resolved quickly and premanently, so that she is able to return to Peru and finish up the year. Now our Arequipa family of four is only three. Please pray for the healing of Melissa hands.

That was Saturday.
The night before was the Fourth of July. On Friday, we threw a huge US Independence Day party. We invited everyone we knew, and some how squeezed 38 people into our little apartment. We served BBQ chicken, potato salad, greenbean casserole, and apple snicker salad for dinner, and no bake cookies and the US flag jello for dessert. We even made sweet tea. The food was delicious, props to Jessica, and everyone enjoyed themselves. We also had a watermelon seed spitting contest. Even though there were no fireworks, we had a lot of fun, and our Peruvian guests got to experience a real American 4th of July party.

That was Friday.
The Tuesday through Thursday before that was hectic. I´d added my new hour and half english class to my schedule. Now I have a class at 4:00 Monday through Friday, a class at 5:30 on Thursday and Friday, and bible studies at 7:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. I wasn´t exactly sure about how to teach this new class, because unlike my others, I have a teaxtbook to go by. Some were good and some were bad, and I was stressed, but enjoying the responsobility. Now I have a good idea of what I am doing, and how I am teaching, so this week should run a lot smoother. Please pray for my students. Pray that they are bold with their questions and that God is able to use us in all of our classes. Also, pray for opportunities for serious conversation.

That was last week.
The weekend before that, Saturday through Monday, we were in Nasca. Everyone from REAPSouth met in Nasca this weekend for a midsummer debriefing. This was such a high. It was great getting to see Nasca, and even more encouraging to hear about everyone´s ministries in their villages. It was also great getting to spend time with all the friends I´d made in the beginning of the summer in Chosica. We were unable to see the Nasca lines, but I´m content with that. Please pray for all the summer missionaries in Peru. Some are in villages, without hot water, or even a bed to sleep on. Pray that God is contiually blessing them and encouraging them.

And that´s the rollercoaster I´ve been on this past 10 days. Emotional highs and emotional lows. God has blessed me with an awesome team in Arequipa, and a positive outlook on everything. I´m thankful I got to know Greg, and am praying without ceasing for his family, Lydia, Claudia, and Kristen. I am learning to praise God through every event and every situation.

Praise God for His Almighty plan.

3 comments:

Kelly :-) said...

Dominique!!!!
I was so happy to talk with you!!! Know that you and your team are in my prayers. I got Miss Connie's e-mail about Greg and my heart goes out to his family and those on his team down there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a week. I will keep Greg's family in my prayers. Was he a missionary there? Just wondering. The awesome thing in a tragedy like this is that GOD OVERCOMES. My prayer is that others who knew him will have a greater conviction for their own salvation. Sometimes a little reminder of eternity can get wheels churning and hearts turning.
I love you and miss you mucho!
Weeshie

Brittany said...

Pinky,
I am sorry for all the stress around you. It makes me all the more thankful that God is constant. I am praying for you and your friends.