Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Week of Wonders

Hola mi amigos! Buenos Tardes!

And that´s about all the spanish I know...so far.

So much has happened in the last week, I feel like I´ve been here a month already. I´ve yet to actually begin my routine and classes, but I did spend my first day in Arequipa. Oh yea did I mention I´ll be in Arequipa this summer, not Lima. There is greater need in Arequipa, and I am more than willing to visit another city. Arequipa is the second largest city in Peru. I´m very excited to be in Arequipa. EVERYONE says that it is the perfect city; always sunny, cool, 8000ft above sea level, and is overlooked by volcano El Misti.

Now that I am moved into my apartment (a former dentist office), and go to my first real class tomorrow, I should be able to communicate more often. About my apartment...I have two roommates, Melissa and Jessica. These girls as well as Steven are my partners. I´m pretty much jumping into help them with their English classes.

I wish I´d brought my computer or at least camera cord, so I could show you all that I´ve done and seen so far. Since I didn´t I´ll just give you a brief summary, and you can question me individually.

Monday: I arrived in Lima. The plane trip was wasn´t bad. I sat next to Maria Luis, and she told me about her family in the states and her children (my age) in Peru. When we got off the plane she helped me though customs and luggage. She was very nice and motherly to me.


Tuesday: Free day around Lima, waiting for everyone else to arrive. We, a group of about 8 Americans, went to a mall overlooking the Pacific. From there we walked back to our hostal. It was a good time to get to know the other missionaries working through ReapSouth, this summer. Most of them are traveling to villages all over Peru. Around dinner time we went to Papa John´s (and American classic) and walked down to the movie theater to watch the new Indiana Jones (en inglés). It was cool, because it takes place in Peru, and we´re going to Nasca at the end of June. Going to the movies might become a foreign country tradition. When I was in Mexico City, we watched the Good Shephard. I wouldn´t mind this tradition.

Wednesday: The Amazing Race. This was a great way for all of us foreigners to sight see Lima, and get a taste of the lesser visited side of the city. One of our challenges was to find and drink a full cup of jugo de rana (frog juice). We took it like champs, which was hard, because we watched Willy destroy the frog. The Amazing Race ended us up in Chosica, where we would be at for the next three days for orientation.

Thursday: Camp in Chosica began. Our schedule looked like this: worship, classes, food, worship, classes, food... But all were very fulfilling and interesting.
Friday: Camp continues (worship, classes, food, worship, classes, food...) Rick Shephard finish his teaching on the Tabernacle, and it was really interesting to see the relations between the old testament and the new testament. They´re so many references to Jesus. After these teachings were done we all sat down to an AMAZING Thanksgiving Day dinner. It was everything and more: turkey, stuffing, buttered rolls, gravy, green beans, (so much food!) and like six desserts! It was so hard to move we were all so full.

Saturday: We had an early breakfast and then traveled back to Lima. In Lima we had another free day. We used this time to buy our bus tickets to Arequipa and eat lunch at a really good seafood place downtown. I had fried shellfish, bery good, and tried the well known plate, ceviche. It wasn´t bad.

Sunday: Went to church. Many people in ReapSouth go to the Flamingo Road Church. They are in Cooper City, but have a campus in Peru and around Florida. It was in English, and I really enjoyed the message. The pastor spoke on our covenant with God. Then we got lunch and began our 15 hour bus trip to Arequipa. The bus ride wasn´t so bad.

Monday: We arrived in Arequipa around 7:30am and napped. Then, while Melissa was in class, Jess and I shopped in Arequipa. I had to buy a blanket. It´s coming into winter and it´s getting cold.

Well, obviously, I miss you all! I´ll try to update the blog more, as I began my classes.

Thank you for all your prayers!

Te amo

2 comments:

Kelly :-) said...

Dominique!!!!
I'm SOOOO excited for you and happy and I can just imagine you taking the frog juice down like a champ. I do like the tradition of seeing a movie while in the foreign lands and must do that too while I am in Venezuela!!! Praying for you and can't wait to see all your pictures!!!

Brittany said...

Pinky i am so glad you are having fun. I hope you are taking lots of pictures and journaling everything because i want to knwo lots of details when you get back:-)